Thursday, May 12, 2005

Dating 101 - Know Thy Self

So, I met the man of my dreams last night ... again. Why is it that whenever I meet the "man o'my dreams", they are either:

A.) in a serious relationship
B.) not interested in me that way
C.) straight

Last night I met Fred. Not Flinstone. Far from it. He was very easy on the eyes, had a great smile, was super nice and I had the best fucking time talking to him. We talked about music and movies (2 things near and dear my heart) the state of gay men in their twenties, New York and modeling (he used to be one - a model), and general life stuff. At one point I asked him, "What's the most important thing that you've learned from all your life experience so far?"

His answer: knowing himself. He talked about how important it is to truly know who you are, what your beliefs are, what your value system is, what you will and won't stand for in life and in relationships. After that, everything will begin to fall into place. Wow. I wanted 2 propose on the spot, LOL. Seriously though, it got me thinking. I have a pretty good idea about who I am and I know exactly what I want, but more than once I've been so ready 2 "settle" for things out of desperation, frustration, loneliness ... and I shouldn't. If I know what I want ... out of life, out of a man, in anything ... why should I settle 4 anything less?

2 bad Fred is in a relationship. I would have loved to have seen him again. As it was, I would have been happy being his friend because we have similar tastes in music (he loves Prince!) and he genuinely seems like an honest, intelligent, funny, inspiring guy. I gave him my card, but if my gut is telling me right, I won't ever hear from him again ... 4 whatever reason.

But U know what, I've got 2 stand strong and love myself enough 2 be ok being alone. That's hard. Maybe, just maybe, when I finally get 2 that point, I'll find the man and the relationship that I crave so much. Til then ... the journey continues.

"It's only when I lose myself in someone else that I find myself." - Depeche Mode, Only When I Lose Myself

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home